2012年9月27日星期四

LV Outlet “But if you are abandoned

“But if you are abandoned?” said Calyste.
“Then I should beg my pardon of the man I have offended. I will never run the risk of taking a happiness I know would quickly end.”
“End!” cried Calyste.
The marquise stopped the passionate speech into which her lover was about to launch, by repeating the word “End!” in a tone that silenced him.
This opposition roused in the young man one of those mute inward furies known only to those who love without hope. They walked on several hundred steps in total silence, looking neither at the sea, nor the rocks, nor the plain of Croisic.
“I would make you happy,” said Calyste.
“All men begin by promising that,” she answered, “and they end by abandonment and disgust. I have no reproach to cast on him to whom I shall be faithful. He made me no promises; I went to him; but my only means of lessening my fault is to make it eternal.”
“Say rather, madame, that you feel no love for me. I, who love you, I know that love cannot argue; it is itself; it sees nothing else. There is no sacrifice I will not make to you; command it, and I will do the impossible. He who despised his mistress for flinging her glove among the lions, and ordering him to bring it back to her, did not love! He denied your right to test our hearts, and to yield yourselves only to our utmost devotion. I will sacrifice to you my family, my name, my future.”
“But what an insult in that word ‘sacrifice’!” she said, in reproachful tones, which made poor Calyste feel the folly of his speech.
None but women who truly love, or inborn coquettes, know how to use a word as a point from which to make a spring.
“You are right,” said Calyste, letting fall a tear; “that word can only be said of the cruel struggles which you ask of me.”
“Hush!” said Beatrix, struck by an answer in which, for the first time, Calyste had really made her feel his love. “I have done wrong enough; tempt me no more.”
At this moment they had reached the base of the rock on which grew the plant of box. Calyste felt a thrill of delight as he helped the marquise to climb the steep ascent to the summit, which she wished to reach. To the poor lad it was a precious privilege to hold her up, to make her lean upon him, to feel her tremble; she had need of him. This unlooked-for pleasure turned his head; he saw nought else but Beatrix, and he clasped her round the waist.
“What!” she said, with an imposing air.
“Will you never be mine?” he demanded, in a voice that was choked by the tumult of his blood.
“Never, my friend,” she replied. “I can only be to you a Beatrix — a dream. But is not that a sweet and tender thing? We shall have no bitterness, no grief, no repentance.”
“Will you return to Conti?”
“I must.”
“You shall never belong to any man!” cried Calyste, pushing her from him with frenzied violence.
He listened for her fall, intending to spring after her, but he heard only a muffled sound, the tearing of some stuff, and then the thud of a body falling on the ground. Instead of being flung head foremost down the precipice, Beatrix had only slipped some eight or ten feet into the cavity where the box-bush grew; but she might from there have rolled down into the sea if her gown had not caught upon a point of rock, and by tearing slowly lowered the weight of her body upon the bush.
相关的主题文章:

没有评论:

发表评论